Friday, January 06, 2006

My baby is growing up...

We've had two big milestones in the past couple of weeks. First, Kel is finally feeding himself with a spoon. He took the same attitude as he did towards walking -- don't bother to do it until you're going to do it right. He suddenly picked up the spoon and started feeding himself one day without any mess, without turning the spoon the wrong way up, without any problems whatsoever. Just as he started walking one day without ever stumbling or wobbling, simply got up and did laps around the house. He took his time, but he got there in both cases. We didn't push the spoon issue. As often as they ask about it at the pediatrician's office, I don't believe that it is an important skill in the grand scheme of things. Eating with arbitrary utensils is an unnatural and wholly social construct, not something that I allowed the pediatrician to bully me into worrying about. But you know what? Somewhere in the back of my mind I keep hearing that little voice say, "Thank goodness he got it before his two year check-up!".

The second milestone is in his new recognition of babies. He has started pointing out babies wherever we go. He will wave and say, "Hi, baby!". He does this with actual babies, as well as with children who are perhaps only a couple of months younger than himself. But, to be fair, he was a baby only the blink of an eye ago, so perhaps he's not far wrong. He also tells me about pictures on the wall at home, naming each person in the photo and then pointing out the "baby" (baby Kellan). My favourite photo is one of my mother, sister, and Kellan at about 3 months old. It is now one of my favourites to hear him describe as well -- "Auntie, Grmama, Baby!".

No comments: