Friday, January 07, 2005

UNICEF

I've been feeling helpless in the wake of the recent Tsunami disaster. So much loss of life, so many children lost or orphaned, and now I'm reading about child trafficking, boats full of infants, those of whom survive may be sold in false adoption schemes. Children who have lost their parents, or even just been separated and confused, are smuggled to be sold into slavery or the sex trade. It gives me such a sick feeling. I know that making a donation seems very American, very small, very safe, and pretty useless. But what else can I do? How else can I try, in some small way from half way around the world, to help some of those children? So, I donated a bit more than I could afford to UNICEF and I can only hope that it makes a small difference in the lives of those who are suffering. I hope that others are doing the same, and together we may afford some relief to the children who have endured so much.

No comments: