Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Teething

I am writing now with bleary eyes, eyes that have been bleary for the past two weeks, a mind that is dulled by lack of sleep, and a desire to know what I can do to ease my son's teething pain. His little cheeks are pink and swollen. He can't stop chewing on his fingers and hand. Each night, after the lights have gone out and we are settled in bed, the pain becomes unbearable and he lets the world know. He is so tired, but the teeth hurt, and he has trouble sleeping. He wants to be in our bed. He wants to be in his bed. He wants to nurse. He doesn't want anything to do with nursing. He wants to lay on his back, his side, his stomach, under the pillow, on top of the pillow, on top of daddy. He can't make up his mind. And through it all is the fussing, the whining, the crying, the lack of sleep. He remains angelic during the day, always happy and easygoing, but at night it all becomes too much for him. I feel so sad that he can't enjoy a nice long sleep. I feel so sad that we can't enjoy a nice long sleep. I am tired, so tired, so very very very tired.

No comments: