Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The IRS --- ggggrrrrrrrrr

Well, we're home from a lovely trip to San Diego, two weeks of sunshine, family, and friends. Kellan had a wonderful time. He was fantastic on the flights there and back, good naps, lots of playing, really didn't cause me any problems. And I'm still flying him for free on my lap, so I definitely got lucky. We spent lots of days at the beach, went to Legoland California, The San Diego Zoo, the Birch Aquarium, visited my old friends and professors at SDSU (department of Geography), and generally enjoyed every minute.

I returned, however, to a decreased tax refund and a notice from the IRS. Oops, my fault, I forgot to include Kellan's social security number on our tax form. It was one of those, "I'll go get it in a second" thoughts and I simply forgot. So, I called the number on our notice, had all of the requested information at hand, and hoped that they could point me in the right direction so that we can get the rest of our tax refund. In what dream world was I living? After having typed in my entire family history by push button phone, the woman then asks me all of the same questions again. Fine, security, I get it. Then, unexpectedly, she starts asking me about my 2003 tax return. Well, I'm at work, and I filed that from the UK (because we had to before they would allow Nic a visa even though I didn't work in the US at all during that tax year). I don't know where it is, and I certainly don't know, off hand, the exact amounts of taxable income or other information that she was requesting. Suddenly, she flies off the handle and starts accusing me of trying to commit tax fraud, of calling on behalf of someone else, she can report me for this, and so on. Um, what??? She became very belligerent and refused to give me any information, even just to tell me which freaking form I need so that I can get them the SSN information!

What a nightmare. Now I don't know how to get them the info and I can't call back because I'm sure that they have me listed as a criminal mastermind since I couldn't, from work, recite every detail of my 2003 tax return. Could you?

No comments: