Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Too Tired to Post

Its been awhile. Since I slept, that is. First there was the RSV and ear infection. Then he had to be injected with antibiotics because he refused to take them orally, which resulted in a nasty case of thrush in the diaper region and a very sick stomach. Now there's, well, quite frankly, I don't know what. But he's had me up most of the night all this week. I think that it may be teeth again, as they do seem to give him a lot of trouble. He's incredibly restless, can't seem to settle, wakes up every half hour and can't get himself back to sleep. He's in and out of our bed. Doesn't want to be by himself, but then he's too cramped in our bed [note to self: never do this again without a King Size Bed!]. He's so tired that he bangs his head on the crib or on the wall while crawling all over the place at 2am trying to decide where he wants to be, and then we all get to hear about it (including the upstairs neighbours). He's fussy during the day, whines constantly. He may be coming down with something I suppose, but the duration, lack of fever or other symptoms, and constant drool plus fingers in mouth lead me to the teething conclusion. Last night he nursed Six Times! I was late for work this morning after having fallen asleep again after my shower while giving him a cuddle in bed.

This is all complicated by the fact that Kellan refuses to take any medication by mouth in any form. He will not have it mixed with food or drink. He will not have chewables or "melt-aways". He knows medicine and he will have nothing to do with it. I managed to get a couple of the toddler Tylenols (his doctor said it was fine to try them because he's so big) into him by grinding them to a fine powder and mixing with very rich chocolate ice cream. I felt so triumphant! But still, he only slept from 8:30pm-11:30pm because of my efforts. I was disappointed until he had me up every 30-60 minutes for the rest of the night -- I guess that three hours was a real accomplishment!

No comments: