Thursday, March 31, 2005

Where do you draw the line...

...between providing your child with a world of experiences and opportunities to grow, and overscheduling their lives to the point of exhaustion? I realised that all of the classes and groups I've got lined up for Kellan over the next few months leave us no free time whatsoever during the week. He'll be in swim lessons, at Fun Shop, play group, music class, and Parents as Teachers among other things. I want him to learn to swim, to explore his musical gifts, to play with other children of his own age, and to develop into a social and capable young man. I feel that these activities foster such growth. Then again, Springfield is boring, incredibly boring, so boring that you might nod off just thinking about it. Am I overscheduling my 13 month old son just to give myself something to do? I honestly think not. I'm overscheduling my 13 month old son to give him something to do!

No comments: