Thursday, May 08, 2008

Surgery Day

Today was the big surgery day and I am glad to say that we've almost arrived at tomorrow -- Day One of recovery (I was informed by the nurses that today does not count because today is Surgery Day). Kellan was incredible. We arrived at the hospital at 5:30am. He was eager, happy, excited, and extremely brave. When it was time to go back, he showed no fear, gave me a brave smile (while I tried not to burst into tears!) and even got to ride in a red wagon down to the operating room. The surgery went as planned, a complete success, and not a peep or fuss from Kellan. He accepted the medications, the sedation, the needles and IV without a single complaint. The whole surgery team were so impressed by him. Me too!

He was very groggy for most of the day and is just "waking up" now. Not terribly happy about the pain, but doing so very well for somebody who's insides have just been man handled and sewn back together! He requested an ice pack, and he hates ice packs, so I know that he's hurting. He's resting today without me having to remind him to rest, so again, I know that he's in pain. But his spirits remain high, he's eating and drinking, and he's excited about getting better and back to normal life. Send speedy healing thoughts his way!

I have no idea why, but while they were getting him sorted (and before he changed into the lovely hospital garb), they took a photo of us on the bed. For the scrapbook I guess. Or the blog!





After arriving home, we had a surprise visit from the florist. Look what Olivia's family sent!!! Is this the most amazing thing ever? The photos don't even begin to do it justice. This thing is just solid candy, front and back, inside the vase, everywhere! The look on his face when it arrived was priceless. And it even got him sitting upright for a bit. Well, long enough to eat a few Tootsie Rolls anyway...





PS -- as the afternoon and evening wore on, we were inundated with lovely and thoughtful gifts from family and friends. I don't want you to think that you were forgotten. Its just that I'd already put the camera away and Kel really didn't need to pose with each new arrival. Thank you so much, everybody, for thinking of Kel and for making his recovery one that is filled with love and the knowledge that everybody is cheering him on. What a lucky boy!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Glad to see that your little man made it through with flying colors! I would have been terrified if I were him. I was when I went in for Kellan's planned c-section. Hope the recovery has continues to go well for him!
Jenn